Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chocolate Cobbler & Thoughts on Blogging

So, it's been a while! It's funny to me as I read my last post which was over a month ago: "I haven't forgotten this blog." Well, I kind of did. Life became a whirlwind and took over, and before I knew it, blogging had taken a back seat.

As I mentioned before, I recently began selling baked goods at our local farmer's market and trying to being starting up my very own home delivery baked goods business (with hopes of one day opening a real bakery). The farmers market just ended this past Saturday, and I have enjoyed it immensely. Seeing people enjoy my baked goods was worth all of the late nights and dirty dishes.

I have really missed blogging and sharing my recipes and food with you. I thought of the blog often, but became discouraged because I felt like I had nothing post-worthy. It wasn't that I hadn't been cooking; it's just often I don't have the time to snap a picture, much less a truly good picture. And I would think, who wants to read a pictureless food blog? And another week or so would pass by with no posts. I had to come to the realization that this is MY blog. Sure, its not the best or most read, but it's mostly for me, and if people enjoy reading it, all the better. So, I'm going to continue posting. My posts may not always have a picture, but one thing you can count on: tried and true recipes with helpful instruction.

So, away we go! This recipe is a wonderful go-to dessert when you don't have a lot of time. I've made it on several occasions and it is always a crowd pleaser. Who doesn't love warm, gooey chocolate? This is reminiscent of those chocolate lava cakes you get at restaurants, just not with all the fuss. It's also a comforting, warm dessert for those cold winter nights. This is a place to use a good quality cocoa, since it's the star ingredient. I use Hershey's Special Dark, which is a high quality, yet economical choice. Try it - you won't regret it!

Chocolate Cobbler

Ingredients
  • 1 cup self rising flour*
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons cocoa, divided
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups hot water
  • Vanilla Ice Cream, for serving (optional)
  • cooking spray
Equipment Needed:
  • 8x8 baking pan
  • 2 medium sized bowls
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare your baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa. Stir in milk and oil until smooth. 4. Pour into prepared baking pan.
5. Combine the brown sugar and remaining cocoa; sprinkle over batter.
6. Pour hot water over top (do not stir).
7. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.

*You can make your own self-rising flour by combining 1 cup all purpose flour with 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment