Friday, October 30, 2009

Chicken Corn Chowder

One of my most favorite things in the world is a delicious, steamy bowl of soup on a chilly fall day. Especially if its rainy. I made this soup for my small group, and I think it turned out great. They all seemed to like it, too. It will definitely become part of my regular rotation. The best thing about this recipe? It came from Cooking Light magazine so it's pretty healthy! But, I promise you won't be able to tell..... This creamy soup has all the rich, comforting goodness of a full fat recipe, and just the right amount of spice to warm you up. Also, did I mention it is ridiculously easy? Perfect for a weeknight meal or even for company. Oh yes, this one is a keeper!!

Chicken Corn Chowder

adapted from Cooking Light

makes 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breast halves)
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 3 ears)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
  • 2 cups small diced potatoes

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and jalapeño; cook for 3 minutes or until tender and onions are translucent, stirring frequently.

2. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients.

3. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 5 minutes). Taste the soup, and tweak seasonings if desired. Enjoy!

Recipe Tips & Serving Suggestions:

  • I used shredded rotesserie chicken from my grocery store's deli to cut down on time.
  • I also used rosemary instead of the thyme, since I don't care for the taste of thyme. You can use whatever herb you like. If you enjoy cilantro, I am sure it would be great in this soup.
  • If your soup is not as thick as you would like, thicken it quickly with a cornstarch slurry by adding a few tablespoons of the soup's liquid to a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch (it doesn't have to be exact). Add the slurry to the soup and stir, and it should thicken in a couple of minutes.
  • I served this with sour cream and shredded cheddar, but if you want to really take it over the top, I bet some crumbled bacon would be amazing!

1 comment: