Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pasta Primavera


My idea of a perfect Saturday morning is a trip to the farmer's market. I remember going as a kid with my mom and dad. I remember the crowds of people perusing the bins of beautiful fresh green beans, silver queen corn, vibrant red tomatoes, and juicy peaches. Shelves filled with jars of country preserves of apple, peach, blackberry, and more. Homemade fried hand pies and smiling Southern ladies to whom everyone was called "Honey". Back then, I had no idea what treasures lied right there before me.

A couple of Saturdays ago, I had a really strong urge to go back to the farmer's market. The one I went to as a kid. And even though it was late in the afternoon, my husband and I got in the car and drove out there. It was just as I remembered it. And I came out with a huge bag full of farm fresh produce for around $10.00, handed to me by a lady with a smile and a "there you go, darlin'". You just can't beat that.

This recipe is a perfect application for spring / summer produce. You can really use any veggies you have on hand. I used zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, asparagus, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onion. It's simple, quick, and easy to customize to your tastes. The flavors are fresh and perfectly vibrant, bursting with summer. High quality olive oil and Parmesan cheese are a must.

After a long day of yard work or at the pool, nothing beats a plate of this served with some crusty bread. Make it tonight! You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment