Thursday, April 23, 2009

P-Dub's Mac and Cheese



Oh, macaroni and cheese. The ultimate comfort food, yet to me, so elusive. For a while now, I've been on the quest for the perfect macaroni and cheese. Perfect is so relative; because, mac and cheese is something that can be done in so many different ways. To me, the best ever is my Mema's (aka my grandmother for all of my readers who ain't from the South). No matter how hard I try to replicate her simple recipe, I just can't get it quite the same.

This recipe is from Pioneer Woman. If you haven't checked out her website/blog, you need to. Like, right now. Seriously. It's wonderful. I read it just about every day.

And this recipe was pretty great, too. It uses an entire pound of cheese... and as Ina says, How bad can that be? I actually made this for Easter dinner for my family. I tasted it right out of the oven, and it was delicious... creamy, cheesy.... everything you'd want in a perfect mac and cheese. I made it the night before and stashed it in the fridge to bring to Easter dinner the next evening. However, something curious happened. The next day, after reheating, it was like the flavor of the dry mustard in the recipe was heightened, and to me, it was all I could taste. I am not sure where I went wrong here, but I think next time I will omit the dry mustard completely or just use half of the quantity listed.

At any rate, this is definitely a recipe I will be trying again. Try it for yourself, and you will not be disappointed.

You can find Pioneer Woman's recipe and picture tutorial (full of incredible photos) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment