Friday, February 13, 2009

Strawberry Banana Oatmeal


To me, there are few breakfasts more comforting than a steaming bowl of oatmeal or cream of wheat. This definitely wasn't the case when I was a kid - I thought my dad was "really mean" for forcing me to eat a bowl of oatmeal (or some other kind of hearty, hot breakfast) before school in the mornings.

Flash forward to adulthood - I would usually take packets of oatmeal to work every day for breakfast. And while there's nothing really wrong with that, I was always displeased with the fact that it was full of sugar and/or preservatives; and also that it took more than one packet to fill me up. Now, at the inspiration of other food blogs, I have started making my own oats in the morning, and have found it to be very easy, quick, convenient, and delicious! I also love that it's nourishing and good for me, and that it sticks with me until lunch. It takes about five minutes to prepare in the morning, and I pack it up in a Gladware bowl and bring it to work with me to eat.

Sarah's Strawberry Banana Oatmeal

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 3-4 strawberries, sliced
Directions

You can prepare your oats one of two ways: one the stovetop, or in the microwave. I usually do mine in the microwave for quickness and so I don't have a dirty pot to clean. Just combine your oats, pinch of salt, and your liquid in a bowl, and microwave it for 2 minutes or so, or according to package directions. If your oats are too thick, stir in a little bit more milk or water. Add your vanilla, honey, and mashed banana, and stir. Top with sliced strawberries. Enjoy!

Tips

Make sure to follow the package directions for your liquid-to-oats ratio. I sometimes buy Irish oats, and they use a little bit more water than my regular rolled oats do. Feel free to use all water or all milk if you like. I use half water, half milk so that I still get the creaminess that the milk adds without all of the calories.


1 comment: